- Boil or roast the beet, before peeling it and blending it with milk in a blender. It should produce a bright pink color
- In the blender, add the other wet ingredients and blend again until it’s smooth.
- Add in dry ingredients slowly, pulsing the blender between each addition.
- Once smooth, your mixture is ready for the waffle iron!
- Attempt to grease the iron very little in an attempt to preserve the color of the waffles.
If you don’t want to use beets or are in a time crunch, another simple approach is simply adding a few drops of red food coloring to your favorite pre-made pancake/waffle mix once mixed!